Here is another good essay question for American Beauty.
How does a feature film you have studied use narrative and other film techniques to examine the values of society?
Firstly, discuss the ‘values of society’ that are represented in American Beauty. Then, how is society, its structures and what it holds to be important conveyed in the film?
This might be through film techniques such as:
• the situations characters in the film are faced with, and how they act and react.
• the characters themselves (e.g. what they are like, how they are conveyed and developed, how they are contrasted). Lots of scope there!
• the visual images, motifs and symbols used.
• the dialogue
• how characters relate to each other. Again plenty to discuss.
• the settings used and the costumes worn.